The arrival of the railway in Malahide in 1844 was one of the turning points in the history of Malahide. Initially, there were two proposed routes for a railway north from Dublin, a coastal route and an inland route through Navan to Armagh.
The decision of the coastal route went in Malahide’s favour and as a result, some excellent local town planning followed.
The railway took nine years to build and on the Dublin side of the Station, it took 90 tons of gunpowder to blast through the rocks. An eleven span wooden viaduct carried the rails over the estuary to the north of the station. In one month during 1841 there were 8 deaths reported and 103 cases of injury among the workers.
Labourers were paid 8 pence a month. 10 shillings were received for injuries incurred while £5 was granted for death resulting from injuries.
The railway line cost almost £22,000 per mile to build as far as Drogheda.
By December 1843, there were seven to eight thousand men employed on the works.
On the 17th. March 1844 the Norah Creina, pulling 7 coaches and carrying 565 passengers, traveled the 30 miles from Dublin to Drogheda in 1 hour and 12 minutes.
It stopped at Malahide to allow the Talbot family to embark.
During the Famine, many starving Northerners reached Malahide by walking the railway tracks.
At the turn of the century daily sea-side excursions from Dublin were organised, with children free. Cheap Sunday fares were also introduced.
In 1903, Malahide Station was designed and It was one of the few stations in rural Ireland to provide a canopy for shelter.
In the last few years the station has been used as a setting for television commercials.
The line from Dublin to Malahide was electrified in 1999 and a frequent suburban DART service commenced in 2000.
For Train and DART Timetables to Malahide visit –
Wannipa & Roger Geraghty – Biscayne House